Thursday, July 13, 2006

Busy Busy Busy

Man, this program at the Globe Theatre is extremely intense. I haven't even had a chance to get on the computer until right now and we've been here almost two weeks. The program is amazing. We've had workshops with professionals in voice, movement, stage combat (Elizabethan swords), and textual analysis. We're also learning a great deal about the history of Shakespeare's time and the birth of theaters in London. The best part is that we're on the site of the original theaters as we're learning about them. We hear about Shakespeare's company hauling timbers across the Thames river onto the south bank to build the Globe as we're actually standing on the bank. My only wish is that we actually had free time to explore other parts of the city. I'm having trouble finding the time to even see shows apart from those at the Globe. We're working on monologues, (which we've actually performed on the Globe stage) at the same time as memorizing lines for scenes, seeing the plays we're reading, writing essays in response to the plays, and being in class for ten hours some days. Hopefully, we'll find more free time as the program goes on. Tomorrow, Julia and I head to Wales, which should be amazing. At the moment, I am sitting outside of a rehearsal for our scenes and our break is almost over. I hope to write more frequently as soon as I get my bearings. I would also like to upload some pictures because there are some amazing ones of me in full Elizabethan garb. Better run. More to come soon.

2 comments:

Kate! said...

Reynolds is in Wales! Kate has a country-crush on Wales!

Beth said...

I hope you're in the pretty part. The pretty (read: coastal) part of Wales is one of the prettiest places I've ever been. The cities are among the bleakest places I've ever been. But overall, I loved my time in Wales. Glad you're getting to go!