Tuesday, December 05, 2006

Going into my last week at MYSA

The 20th Anniversary celebration went off pretty well, despite terrible weather and a field full of mud. Unfortunately, we didn't get to perform due to the coniditions. Everything was outside and the ground was too dangerous for the dancers and acrobats. Hopefully, we'll get to perform this Saturday when we do one of the community outreach programs.

The Norwegian combined piece actually turned out pretty nicely and is a really neat sampling of both cultures. I feel pretty ridiculous doing both, but I'm enjoying it thoroughly.

The other night, we all went out to a bar then to a club called Florida 2000. I had a great time, despite accidentally dancing with one prostitute and getting harrassed and hit on by at least three others. That was weird.

We went to a play in Nairobi on Sunday, which was really nice and the first piece of theater on a stage I've really seen since the Globe. I had dinner that night with one of the guys from Haba na Haba and we had a really good personal conversation. I'm really starting to feel like a part of the group and their friend now, rather than that bearded guy from the U.S. who's volunteering with MYSA.

Yesterday, I had the day off and spent three hours wading through archives at the national newspaper headquarters. I found all kinds of really messed up, but interesting stories about these gangs I'm researching. I set up an interview with an investigative journalist for next Monday and I'm hoping to talk to my government professor as well.

Things are going well and I'm realizing how sad I'll be to leave this place. But I'm equally excited about coming home again. I was just cast in a play for next semester and I'm super pumped! The role actually might require me to keep growing my beard, which would be really funny. Anyway, better run. I need to eat.

1 comment:

starrypurplehaze said...

play? you were cast in a play? how can you be cast when you are far far away?

which one?