Friday, July 30, 2010

Teaching in the South Bronx

After over a year without posting, I feel that only a brief synopsis makes sense.

After returning to the U.S. from Rwanda, I packed my bags and headed to New York City. I joined the "corps" at Teach for America, and have been teaching at South Bronx Classical Charter School ever since.

Teaching in my school's environment has been the most difficult thing I have ever done. My first year of teaching gave me a completely different look at social injustice. After spending so much of my time and effort on the other side of the world, it was time for me to open my eyes to my own country's issues. What better place to start than education?

At this point, my greatest realization is this: most poor elementary school children in New York City either receive a chaotic and unfocused education, or they are stifled by over-structured and rigorous academic programs that leave little room for creative development and play.

The challenge moving forward (at least in New York City) is to strike a balance and provide an environment in which children are challenged, but also given the space to enjoy being children.

I hope to write more as my second year progresses, but I am limited on what I can say by Teach for America. Regardless, I know I will come out of this experience with plenty of stories and life lessons that I will be considering for many years.

No comments: