Tuesday, November 28, 2006

Revelations

Do you ever wake up in the morning and all of a sudden, something makes sense that didn't before? Julia and I have discussed this and I'm not sure if we're the only ones. My brain has this weird way of processing things while I sleep, which comes in handy for memorizing lines, studying for tests, etc.

This morning I woke up and had maybe five revelations about different aspects of music theory. Teaching these kids guitar and theory has really got me learning it all again. I've been mulling things over in my brain and suddenly things are starting to fall into place like a puzzle. I'm starting to really understand (again) how scales fit together, how everything connects on the guitar, and exactly what goes into building a chord and how chords fit into scales. I understood the basics, but now more and more things are becoming clear every day. It's really neat.

In other news, a Norwegian drama group will be here working with us for the next two weeks. I have mixed feelings about it, but they're really nice and I think we'll have a good time. I'm pretty sure I'll actually be performing with Haba na Haba at the 20th anniversary celebration! I think I'm playing a warrior or something like that. This week is already moving at a better pace than last week and I'm starting to take care of business back home for next semester.

My feelings about returning home in three weeks are definitely mixed. I miss my friends, family, and Julia (dear God I miss her) a lot and I get really excited when I think about seeing them again, but I have a feeling I'll miss all of this more than I realize now. I really think I've found something that combines my passions in a way that makes a substantial difference. This is both exciting and scary. Because now I need to do something about it. And I'm not exactly sure what that is yet.

Anyway, I better run. My guitar students are here.

3 comments:

Reynolds Whalen said...

HAHAHAHA!! Dad, you'll be interested to know that one of the slang phrases here is to say "Sema", which simply means "Speak." So alot of times, I just greet people by saying "Speak." Thought you'd appreciate that.

Andrew Langan said...

What can we do to help your friends in Mathare, in particular? How can we help people like Lulu and Jack get out from under the thumbs of the police (who obviously don't have their best interests in mind), and help them get ahead in life? What are your thoughts?

Take care over there -- remember, no matter what those Norwegians tell you, lutefisk tastes terrible.

Andrew

Reynolds Whalen said...

I tell you what man, this organization I'm working for is a HUGE first step. It's done some amazing things and made some really noticeable changes. In Kenya, most problems begin with corruption. That is slowly starting to change, but it's just going to take time. As far as economic programs, I have no idea and I'm interested to know your thoughts. It looks like we have a lot to discuss! See you in a few weeks :)