Wednesday, November 22, 2006

Some brief observations

So, it turns out Lulu and Jack weren't even playing pool when they were arrested. Lulu was waiting on the next game and police officers swarmed into the room cocking fully automatic weapons and making everyone lie flat on their stomachs. As I said before, they thought Jack was too young so they kicked him and slapped him around and made him go home. They did the same to the others before forcing them into the back of a truck in chains.

According to Jack, none of them were actually involved in any gang activity. Most of them were high school students. Most members of Mungiki aren't in school because they make money by "taxing" basic commodities like electricity. They also charge to use the few toilets that exist in Mathare and demand money for "security", claiming they protect the community. If you don't pay these things, they either steal your stuff or kill you.

Today I was in the heart of Mathare for the first time. It's very similar to Kibera, only it has a small dirty stream running through it. I went to visit my friend Alphonse at his house.

I could have built it myself. It was made of tin and wood and certainly leaks when it rains (which is all the time now). He told me he lives in this little room with just one friend. When I asked about his family, he said most kids move out of their home as soon as they can. He explained that sometimes five people will be living in one tiny room...two parents and multiple kids. The only thing separating the kids from the parents' bed is a hanging sheet. Therefore, the kids can hear everything their parents do in bed and "it can be uncomfortable", he says. Yeah, I would say so.

I wish I could go into more detail here about life in the slums, but I don't have time and I'm not sure I could adequately describe it if I tried.

Today the drama group performed for several hundred school kids who were extremely excited to see them. I videoed the whole performance this time and I'm hoping to put together a promotional video when I get home. Tomorrow, they're planning on holding a concert for peace in the middle of Mathare. I'm really interested to see how that turns out and I'm learning more and more every day.

More to come soon, I hope...

No comments: