Saturday, August 05, 2006

from Glasgow...

So, this is the first chance I've had to get on the internet since we started traveling after the Globe. It's a little over $6 per hour!! I only have 10 minutes remaining after e-mail and facebook, so I'll have to make this quick. The Globe finished up wonderfully and I'm extremely glad I did it, even though I now owe the United States government thousands of dollars. The master classes were wonderful and we got to perform on the actual stage several times. I had minor food poisoning for our final performance, which was a major bummer, but I got over it. The day after the program ended, I traveled to Exeter with Dara, Noga, Jonathan, Kelly, Sari, and Nick. We spent a day boating on a river and visiting a cathedral where they were having an Evensong service. Then, I came down with an intense fever and lay in bed for awhile. That was cool. The night before we left for Scotland, we watched braveheart and ate pizza. Hilarious. Edinburgh was a blast and I finally sucked it up and went to the hospital to see what was wrong with me. I had pneumonia. Go figure. I feel great now, though. Thank you, antibiotics! In Edinburgh, we saw the enormous castle, went on haunted graveyard tours, and went to the zoo. I know what you're thinking. Why would you go to a zoo in Edinburgh when there's so much else to see? Well, this zoo had the biggest penguin exhibit in the world and they let them out at a certain time to run around this path and you can line the path and they can waddle up to you. Well, you get the idea. The last day in Edinburgh was my favorite. We climbed a dormant volcano right outside the city, which offered an absolutely breathtaking view with mountains, ocean, and the city stretched out on all sides. Leaving felt a bit premature, but we had fun in Stirling, which has a monument to William Wallace (Braveheart). I saw the actual sword he used in his fight against the English. Then, we were on our way to Glasgow, which is where I am now. Today, we took a bus tour and passed a museum that had Salvador Dali's Christ on the Cross, but it was closed and we leave at 4 in the morning tomorrow. Bummer. Julia, I know that kills you. Anyway, my time is about to expire, which will make me lose everything I've written if I don't stop soon. Hopefully, there will be more thorough and well-written posts in the somewhat-near future. Cheers.

1 comment:

Julia Mancini said...

Ahh, there's so much Dali in the world, it's okay. I'll take you to see some. Did you know there's a Salvador Dali museum in St. Petersburg, Florida? Road trip...
Now waddling penguins, on the other hand, that kills me. I hope you took lots of pictures, and I hope you at least attempted to hug one for me.
love, Julia