Friday, August 11, 2006

Heathrow Terrorism

I'm sitting in Heathrow Airport in London waiting for my flight to Kenya. I find it absurd that I took the Eurostar yesterday and am flying on a plane out of Heathrow today, both of which were targets for the attempted terrorist attacks yesterday. You would not believe the security here. Anything you carry on has to be in a special plastic bag they provide. You can only bring your passport/essential documents and emergency supplies if you have a medical condition. They wouldn't even let me bring a packet of readings for the Kenya program with me. Luckily, I've only slept maybe 3 or 4 hours in the past 50 hours so I'll probably sleep most of the time anyway. There are also soldiers with machine guns, police with dogs, personnel with yellow vests, and many people with grumpy faces. I find it all kind of amusing, actually. I mean, we're all so equally helpless under the system. If they want to x-ray my entire body in lieu of normal security procedures (which they did) I just nod and take off my shoes and belt. Several times in the last few days, especially in the middle of the night, I've just started laughing at it all. Which made me laugh more last night because I was just standing by myself in my underwear in a random London airport hotel...laughing. I guess I'm not that terrorized. Sorry, Al-Qaeda. Well, I'm going to go find my gate now and see what other adventures are in store. Hopefully, the next post will be from Kenya. Peace.

No comments: