Tuesday, August 22, 2006

Kiswahili and Kipsigis

The past two days we've been having Swahili class for four hours in the morning and I have over eight pages full of notes. We're learning so quickly that I can barely speak anything, even English, when we get out of class. I'm actually processing Swahili better than French, Arabic, and especially Latin. We're learning in groups of seven, which is nice and provides good individual attention. My teacher is engaging and challenging and has a great sense of humor. Hopefully when I get back I'll be able to communicate sufficiently at a basic level.

On Friday, I leave for a week to stay with a family in rural Kenya. The ethnic group is the Kipsigis and they are primarily tea farmers. My family is run by a single mother (the father is deceased) with five children who are all in school. We are encouraged to blend in with the family and operate as a guest only for the first night. After our first night we are expected to be treated and to act as another member of the family. I hope I can join them in the tea fields and learn how they operate in daily life. I will most likely be using a pit latrine (basically a hole in the ground) and bathing out of a bucket or bin. For me, this is the ideal way to really understand daily life in this area. I am incredibly excited, but trying not to go in with too many expectations. It's comforting to know that the program specifically requests that we not be treated differently. On my trip to Uganda three summers ago, many of the students were treated as royalty on their school visits and didn't get to experience life as the students who study there every day.

I'm also glad that we're not expected to bring our cell phones with us. I will be out of contact with anyone outside the community for the entire week, which will be relaxing and a much needed relief.

On another note, our time here in Karen and Nairobi has already been a lot of fun. Last night, we all went out to a bar in Karen and met some really friendly local people. I got destroyed in a game that somewhat resembled pool and had some great conversations with other students on the program. I also played four extremely intense games of ping pong on a table at the compound that is painted with the Kenya flag.

The compound itself where we're staying is EXTREMELY nice, even by American standards. It reminds me of Camp Greystone, a summer camp in North Carolina that costs $5,000 to attend for a few weeks. At first, I commented in my head "man, this just isn't Africa." But then I reminded myself that it's all Africa. This represents a part of society that is just as real as the huts, farming, goats, and traditional rain dances of other areas. In fact, it illuminates a fascinating contrast between rich and poor in Kenya that continues to be addressed in politics and daily street conversation. It's important not to impose one's own ideas of what Africa or any culture should look like. It's all real and it's all valuable to understanding the larger picture...the successes, the rich culture, the problems, and the solutions.

I may not write again for at least a week after we return from the homestays. I'm not sure. But until then, kwaherini.

No comments: