Wednesday, August 09, 2006

Paragliding

This trip has been so ridiculous in the best sense of the word. Today, I jumped off a 4,000 ft. volcano called Puy de Dome with a large piece of cloth strapped to my body. I called it hang-gliding, but apparently the word is paragliding. It's more of a parachute than a hanger I guess. Anyway, what an amazing experience. I did it tandem with a French guy who knows what he's doing and takes people out every day. We got some pretty good pictures which I'll try to post later, but I forgot my video camera which was a bummer. Man, I can't even begin to describe the sensation. The French dude at one point said in broken English "We are like bird." From that point on, I couldn't get that stupid Nelly Fertada (spelling? ah, who cares) song out of my head. It was actually a lot less scary than I thought it would be, but a lot more nauseating. I had a strange sort of motion sickness. No vomitting though, which was nice. One of my favorite parts was flying over another smaller volcano and seeing a huge herd of sheep make their way down the mountain thousands of feet below us. Man, it was nuts. Michel and Kalou actually paid for it, which was beyond nice because it was 70 Euros. I tried to protest, but they insisted. They have been incredibly generous and overly hospitable and I don't know if I'll be able to thank them enough. I plan to send them a really nice gift from Kenya as soon as I get there. Well, they're calling me for dinner. Apparently, they are surprising me and taking me to a restaurant. Man, what a spectacular week. Look for pictures from Scotland and France sometime in the near future. Au revoir!!!

1 comment:

Kate! said...

O, man, that's awesome. I totally heard this entire story in your voice. I miss you so much. Come baaaaaaack! I'll bake you cookies!